Monday, February 27, 2012

To be or not to be an Aspie

I've had Asperger's Syndrome my whole life, but I was not diagnosed until last year. The diagnosis of AS did not yet exist until the mid 90s, I would have been 17, but I did not hear about AS until I was 30. The description of AS fit well, but I was a college educated, employed, independent woman in a committed relationship. If I really had AS, how would any of that be possible. College educated, yes, but I only excelled in the classes that I found interesting. Employed, yes, but from 2003-2008 every job I had lasted less than three years. Independent woman, yes, but I am social phobic and I have only two close friend, of which I only hang out with them on occasion. Otherwise, I'm content in my little cocoon feeding whatever special interest has captivated me. Committed relationship, yes, but I got lucky. I'll save the story of my relationship for another day.

My point is, I vacillated about me having AS until I was 34 years old. Researching AS had become my new special interest. The more I researched the more I identified with people that have AS, than I did with people who do not have AS. There were many blogs that aided my research, and it was on one of those blogs that I came across the Aspie Quiz. It's an amateur AS evaluation, not to be used for clinical diagnosis. However, I decided if I score high on the quiz, then I would seek a professional diagnosis. Out of 200 questions I scored 169 on the AS scale, which is pretty high considering my non-AS score was 35 out of 200. If you think you will find it useful the Aspie Quiz is located: http://www.rdos.net/eng/Aspie-quiz.php



No comments:

Post a Comment