Tuesday, March 6, 2012

No harm no fowl

Governing my personal aspie traits is a daily challenge, not to say or do something egregious. I have to be conscientious, almost vigilant, about the things I'm going to say or do. When I'm engaged in a conversation, I often censor my thoughts, which creates a brief delay before I speak. I learned this technique through many years of adaptation. Today, however, my filter was turned off. I was helping an administrator figure out a problem, and stated quite cavalierly, "Well, isn't this a pain in the balls". So not appropriate for a corporate environment, and so not sexual harassment friendly. As fortune would have it, the administrator thought what I said was awesome, and no one else heard my HR faux pas. It was the end of the day, and my mind was a bit fatigued, but I am still bothered about how second nature it is for me to say something inappropriate. I don't know how NTs do it, speak well with ease and grace, always knowing what to say, how to say and when to say it (or at lest that's my perception). I have no such aplomb with the spoken word, unless I'm saying something that is best left unsaid. No harm no fowl I suppose. Oh, and no pun intended.

No comments:

Post a Comment