Monday, October 3, 2011

This Aspie's problem with going home sick

I ate something last night that disagreed with me quite violently this morning. Many people with Asperger's find comfort and stability in their routines, and I'm one of them. So being sick interferes with my routine of going to work and doing my job. Now, at work there is no judgment or criticism toward anyone that takes a sick day. So my anxiety is utterly due to the interference of my daily routine, and keeping me from work I love to do. I couldn't deal with not going to work, so I grin and bared it for about four hours. Finally, after being in the bathroom more than I was at my desk, I finally conceded defeat. Of course the mental anguish from the security of my routine being compromised due to my body being out of my control was enough to give me a mini meltdown. My poor boss, I basically babbled like an idiot trying to tell her that I had to go home, and I kept apologizing. Again, I can't emphasize enough that they really don't care if an employee has to go home sick, they are a very good employer. My boss was cool, and understood how uncomfortable I was telling her I needed to go home, and she just kept saying "it's okay, you're sick, don't worry, just go home and get better".
Part of this blog post is to say that even though I have not told anyone at work about my Asperger's, there are genuine good and perceptive people that do not judge and instinctively know how to handle a distressed Aspie.

No comments:

Post a Comment