Friday, October 21, 2011

Doh!

Experienced the "theory of mind" problem. During a dept meeting the supervisors were going over a new procedure. I'm not trained in one of the processes the procedure would apply to, so in front of everybody I asked if the new procedure should be done at the initial review stage, not taking into consideration the other coworkers that are trained in the processes. And I still didn't "get it" until someone leaned over and told me that they and several others have been doing that process for years. I had a big uh-duh! moment because as soon as she told me, I already knew that. In the moment I was just unable to conceptualize past my own experience. I felt like the biggest idiot, apologized for the stupid question, and pretty much withdrew and mentally berated myself for the rest of the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment