Saturday, October 1, 2011

Foot in mouth

No matter how "high functioning" I am, I can really stick a foot in it. A coworker was talking to me (I rarely initiate conversation because of the fore mentioned topic, and well...I'm the poster child for social awkwardness) about my CPR/AED First aid training because she was also going to take the next class. I was a text book example of an aspie going on and on and on about a subject of interest. I mentioned that in the course the trainer emphasized if nothing else chest compressions are key. The co-worker (let's say Angie) was surprised and was telling me about her experience with her daughter how she kept her alive with just breaths when her daughter was a toddler. I utterly failed to empathize, and continued to go on about how, in the workshop, we were instructed chest compressions were essential. Now I do not support the literature that states people with aspergers don't have empathy. I know that I have it in spades, my timing is just a bit off because I have trouble recognizing the physical cues/ red flags that tell another person that now would be a good time to be empathic. Later, as I went over the instant replay of the conversation driving home from work, I felt her pain of her frightening experience with her daughter and I berated myself and felt  guilty to the enth power for being incapable (in the moment) for not recognizing Angie's emotional connection to the subject we discussed. Just when I'm about to except my aspergers as being part of who I am, I curse myself for having it due to those moments of unintentional insensitivity. I feel less than human at those moments, and have great trouble forgiving myself , because I know no matter how hard I try not to be me, it will happen again.

No comments:

Post a Comment