Monday, March 26, 2012

Social Coping, still trying

My boss said the scariest thing during our team meeting today..."Hey, some night this week, why don't we all get together after work for a drink, or appetizers or whatever"...inside my inner aspie was screaming NOOOO!...I saved the rocking until I got back to my desk...
Fundamentally, I agree with the need for making connections in society and among your peers. It's just that to connect with a group of people goes against the grain of my nature (hi, I have asperger's). It makes me feel so uncomfortable, that even after meetings while everyone is chatting with each other as we walk back to our desks, that I have to break away from the heard and walk ahead of everybody. It feels like I'm being crushed by all the stimuli. All their conversations kinda feel like my mind is being punched repeatedly by small fists. I don't think they are doing anything wrong. More often than not I wish I could amalgamate, and be part of the gang. It's just that all I know is, once I'm away from everyone, the relief is so great that it actually feels like a weight is lifted off me, and I can breath again...

No comments:

Post a Comment