Saturday, April 7, 2012

Aspie Misadventure in Aisle Two

I was just remembering the time my love (I've been with the man too long to call him by boyfriend, and we're not married so husband is out, and fiancee is too much of an anal fantastic word) and I went to the store to buy light bulbs, and I called this guy out who was verbally abusing his daughter in aisle two. All 5' 2" 120lbs of me confronting a man several times my weight and height. So the large guy comes bounding toward me like an enraged bull, bellowing epithets, red faced and finger pointed like a vestigial horn. We crossed words, but I don't recall what was said, probably because I don't speak asshole. The funny thing was, considering the hulking juggernaut of violence and rage headed in my specific direction, I didn't feel anything. Neither flight nor fight, which does not bode well for my sense of self preservation. I just stood there feeling calm and focused, and for someone with Asperger's, that is a rare and coveted state of grace.

The large guy stopped short of course, and I glared at him with a dare in my eyes. Having prematurely spent his testosterone pay lode, and not quite making the money shot, all he had left was, "She's my daughter! MY daughter!"

To be fair, I was not much more loquacious with my quiet reply, "Then treat her like you love her."
I was then encouraged strongly by my love's wise words, "Hon, we need olive oil," and was ushered away to aisle six.

On the way home I reviewed my mental shopping list, and simultaneously ripped off a credit car commercial:

Light Bulbs - check
Olive Oil - check
Unresolved Daddy Issues - TBD


3 comments:

  1. I have had a very similar experience. During basic training in the army, this guy who had been kicked off the course got into a confrontation with some guys in my platoon. Stormed back to his room and came back brandishing a huge knife. Everyone else sensibly turned tail and fled. I stood there, no fear, no excitement, just faint puzzlement about why he thought it was necessary to start waving weapons around. He comes storming down the corridor and makes eye contact with me, see's my complete lack of fear or aggression and slows down, completely baffled.

    ReplyDelete
  2. :) HA! Love this post! ;) #Aspieness rocks, and so you do! Also, fear is overrated. ;)

    -Evey

    ReplyDelete
  3. Believe it or not this must be an aspie thing. I've trained in Shaolin for years, and when I'm "on" like that I am completely focused and calm. It's a strange calm where you can basically do almost anything. Reflexes, and decision making are faster and better. I've had a soccer ball kicked at my face from 30 feet away and I just looked up unimpressed and tilted my head out of the way to let it bounce of the wall behind me. Or someone will come to fight me, and I will be able to calmly disarm them, or they stop on their own. Feels pretty good. lol Aspies = Super Heroes.

    ReplyDelete